For non-profit and social impact organizations interested in partnering with Consulting for Impact.
Application for the 2022-2023 programs to come May 13th. Approval of applications will occur on a rolling basis from May to August. If the project and your organization are a good match for Consulting for Impact, you will receive a preliminary acceptance in this time frame. Once students come back to campus in late September, we will build the CFI student teams. At that point, pending enough resources and interested students in your project, we will give the final approval and begin the projects.
The Consulting for Impact (CFI) Club matches Harvard MBA candidates with global nonprofit and social impact focused organizations for engagements spanning the academic year. During this time, pairs of students complete a strategic consulting project (4 hours per month per student) for the partner organization under the mentorship of the organization’s executive staff or Board members. Students selected by CFI will work with your organization to refine and develop the project scope, develop key deliverables, conduct necessary analysis, and ultimately prepare recommendations for review. Partner organizations have the option to allow the students working on their consulting project to sit-in on their board meetings as non-voting, observing “Board Fellows.” Board Fellows must be able to attend relevant meetings or Board sessions if virtual or in-person depending on location. In the past, we have found that offering the Board Fellow option can result in more students applying to an organization’s consulting project as students value the learning opportunity to observe board meetings.
- Visit here to see prior projects as examples of what teams have delivered.
- – Application deadline: August 1, 2022
– Application preliminary review acceptance: August 15, 2022
– Student applications due: September 26, 2022
– Final project acceptance: Oct 10, 2022
– Students selected and matched to projects: October 10, 2022
– Partner organization kickoff with students: October 17, 2022
– Project duration: October 2022 through March 2023 (with a one month break from mid-December through late January when students are off-campus)
The CFI Club leadership team reviews nonprofit and social impact applications on three criteria:
- How well the proposed project will utilize an MBA skill set (e.g. marketing, finance, operations, strategy)
- The suitability of the organization’s mission
- The organization’s community impact
Once selected for membership in the program, organizations and HBS student consultants are matched by the CFI leadership team through a process that involves weighing student interests, skills, and past experience as well as partner organization interests and needs.
Program Coordination and Support
The CFI Club leadership team oversees the Board Fellows and Consulting for Non-Profits program. The two CFI co-presidents will be available for you to contact to resolve any issues or conflicts with the student team and to provide feedback.
Please contact us with any questions or concerns as you complete the application or after it is submitted. We (the 2022-2023 CFI Co-Presidents) are more than happy to help brainstorm and refine proposed projects.
- Zach Self (email@example.com)
- Saad Jumani (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deadline: August 1, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET